What a day! What a joyful day! What a community-centred joyful day! It’s great to be part of Devon Park and Castle Road, Bedford.
On Sunday 23rd September, we had our Grand Opening of the new halls and rooms. You may have seen them being built over the last year. People’s comments on the building included:
"These are amazing.”
“They are so beautiful and spacious.”
“I can’t believe there’s so much room.”
And as to the day itself, comments I heard were:
“It’s amazing, so many people, from our local community.”
“Every time I talk to someone and I ask how long they’ve been at Christ Church, they tell me they don’t but they live nearby.”
“The band, the bouncy castle, the food – just a great Sunday afternoon for everyone.”
“We love seeing so many children, and such a buzz of excitement.”
A few facts and figures:
- We welcomed over 250 to our celebration service at 10am, and heard some great reflections from our oldest member – click HERE to hear Stanley.
- We gathered in the new foyer – The Hub – crowded on the balcony and in the reception area, as Bishop Alan (Bishop of St Albans) prayed God’s blessing on the halls and all who use them and all who just look for a welcome and friendship.
- We served over 500 burgers and sausages – huge thanks to Bob the butcher (F Harris, Castle Road) for such tasty food [and thanks to the serving and cooking team holding the fort in the kitchen for several hours].
- We estimate that over 600 people visited.
- The bouncy castle kept going for 5 hours, as would many of the children if we hadn’t declared adult sessions!
There’s some final work to be done inside and outside by our builders, Jeakins Weir, and they really do hope to finish soon. And we have the final small sum of £160,000 to raise to meet the budget of £2.5 million – can you help us and donate via MyDonate on our webpages? – enabling this community resource be fully ready to serve our locality.